Tuesday 2 July 2013

Pumpkin Soup...

 
I love beautiful winter foods.  Comforting, nourishing...

 
I particularly love Pumpkin Soup.  I had never really made it before a couple of years ago.  My Mother's recipe seemed tedious with all the cutting of of the pumpkin.
 

 
Then I found the Donna Hay recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Soup.  It is so easy - pop the pumpkin in the oven to roast and you are more than half way there.
 
One word - yum!
 
Donna Hay Roasted Pumpkin Soup
 

Ingredients

1 x 2kg butternut pumpkin
1 onion
Olive oil for drizzling
sea salt
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup cream
1 tbs honey
sour cream to serve
 
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Cut pumpkin in half lengthways. Scoop out seeds. Place pumpkin {cut side up} & onion on baking tray. Drizzle with oil and salt & bake for 1 hour, or until golden and roasted through.
 
Once pumpkin has cooled slightly, scoop pumpkin into a saucepan. Scoop onion into saucepan.
 
Add stock to saucepan. Add cream and honey. Puree with a stick blender. Turn on a medium heat. Heat through. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
 


 
I make it for the Bakery along with a Beef and Vegetable soup - full of beautiful vegetables and pearl barley and split peas. 
 
Beautiful comforting, deliciously warming, winter foods.
 
What do you love to eat in Winter?

4 comments:

Cubby House Crafts said...

Oh that looks delicious:)

Bobbie Lynn said...

I have only had pumpkin soup once and I remembered it being one of the best soups I have ever tasted. I may have to try it this winter.

Jane Bunn said...

Wow Leisa that sounds so good I can almost taste it. Love pumpkin soup and roasting the pumpkin gives it a delicious flavour.

Pearl Maple said...

oh yumm, you have nice way of describing the process for us non cooks