Wednesday 25 November 2015

Victoria Sponge


  

Sunday morning after spending some time picking berries I was inspired to bake a cake.
I have enjoyed A Table in the Orchard by Michelle Crawford very much. Hugo and Elsa is Michelle's blog.  So lovely to enjoy her beautiful home and garden.


I had a beautiful bottle of lemon butter in the fridge made by my Mum. Always delicious!
I hardly every make a cake.  But cake it just had to be. 
The recipe for Vicotria Sponge was lovely. Easy to follow and worked out perfectly. 


As I prepared the ingredients and the tins, I caught myself thinking about my Nana and her beautiful sponge cakes she would make. I'm not even brave enough to try her recipe! But as I buttered the tins and dusted them with flour I thought about her and wondered how many sponge tins she had prepared during her many years of baking. 


Now this cake is not a light and airy sponge like my Nana used to make but it is so very delicious.  I filled mine with a layer of lemon butter and freshly whipped cream, topped it with more cream and some beautiful berries.


Mum, Dad and I sat outside under the tree on Sunday afternoon, cups of tea in hand and enjoyed the Victoria Sponge together.

What a lovely end to the weekend.