Friday 23 January 2009

A Lovely Holiday

What a lovely holiday I have had. I've been home a week already!
Lovely lazy days for two weeks. I had such a wonderful time.
Our unit was really great. Just across the road to the beach and the shops about a ten minute walk. The local library was just up the road too, with free membership to holiday makers. It was nice to have a look at some gardening and cooking books.

We mostly cooked easy meals while we were away. The fish and chips seemed a little ordinary this year. Apparently the local fishing hadn't been very good and a lot of the seafood had been frozen.
A little treat one afternoon though, beautiful coffee and churros!! It was delicious.



We have both been so tired with all the end of year and Christmas busyness, so the first week or so of our holiday was I think recovery mode!!
We didn't venture too far from the beach and pool - but then again there wasn't any real need to anyway.
We did go on a couple of drives though. We visited the most beautiful seaside town of Noosa. It is just a lovely place to be. It is very expensive though, so a lovely walk in the main shopping area and an icecream on the beach.
I was very spoiled that day and bought another bead for my Pandora - the little shell with a gold starfish on it. A lovely momento of our day out.


That same day we visited the very large and quite enjoyable Eumundi Markets. This sleepy little town comes alive two days per week. We hadn't been for a few years so it was lovely to see such different stalls. A lot of it is very commercial, but in a holiday setting it was nice to look at things I wouldn't normally see at the shops.





On another day we drove up into the hinterland behind the Sunshine Coast. We took a picnic and enjoyed our time exploring Montville. I was a little disappointed with a lot of the shops, but found a really beautiful shop Ruby & Rose Interiors. Her stock was just delightful, including some beautiful Greengate. I spoiled myself this time!! I just couldn't help it. I still have my parcel all wrapped up - I am saving it for a quiet moment with the children are back at school!!

I spent a lot of time just sitting and reading my backlog of magazines and also some stitching. I found it hard to concentrate early in the holiday, so didn't achieve as much as I had hoped. I am really determined to finish the stitcheries for "A Gardeners Journal" as I have been working on it for so long. Not far to go now though.

The last week has been a busy time with getting the children ready to go back to school. At least it was only shoes and books, thankfully their clothing all still fits - at the moment!! Tuesday cannot come quickly enough - it's a very long time since the last week of November!!

Mitchell also had to have a tooth extracted this week which turned into quite an ordeal. He has been feeling really unwell, so hopefully he will pick up over the weekend ready for school.

This weekend sees us celebrate Australia Day here - sometimes I don't know if I particularly like the fact that James Cook discovered this land way down here at the bottom of the earth!! LOL!!! What could those free settlers possibly have been thinking coming all the way down here!!!

I am looking forward to the year ahead and hopefully many changes and happenings which will free my time up quite a bit. The garden and lots of cupboards need an overhaul and hopefully also some wonderful time will be available for sewing.

A holiday is lovely, but it is also so nice to come home refreshed and ready to start a new year.

9 comments:

Sal said...

Good to hear that you had such a wonderful time.I would have loved strolling around the markets.
Nice to see you back safely ;-)

Deb said...

We went to Montville whilst on our holiday in Aussie at Xmas also. I loved the shops and Ruby and Rose was on the top of my list as fav. I loved all her Cath Kidson dinnerware but DH said couldn't travel home with it--sob,,,,

dutchcomfort said...

Welcome back!

Strolling markets on a holiday trip, who wouldn’t love that!

Lissa Jane said...

a holiday? a new pandora? no housework? sounds like a wonderful trip..
oh btw, I think I'd rather be a free settler than the circumstance my rellies come here on.. I know it may surprise people but I am convict stock! grand larceny!


Kind regards
Lissa
proud to be of convict stock :O)
Newcastle

Unknown said...

Welcome home Leisa....I have missed your posts. Glad you had a nice time. We went to the coast for a few nights but came home early as we all decided that we would rather be at home....silly us!
I love the Montville area. John and I often camp over that way for our anniversary. Of course it always pours down rain over night and we HAVE been known to camp in a water course or two!
Poor Mitchell. Isaac is supposed to have his wisdom teeth out but we have been side stepping the issue I'm afraid. He is now asking to have it done before he starts at uni so we had better hurry up.
****Smiles****Angela.

Unknown said...

Nice to have you back...I Love Noosa & Eumundi Markets we are only 2hrs nth we try and make a trip of it a couple of times a year..Glad that your Holiday was so Relaxing for you...Happy New Year..
cheers

Leanne said...

What a lovely holiday we stayed in Montville back in Oct. I to was disappointed with the shops but the scenery is breathtaking. Holidays are wonderful when you do nothing but relax. I was amazed by the Eumundi Markets. Happy Australia Day.

Anonymous said...

oooh, I am jealous, you lucky duck!! It looks fabulous and I so wish I could had a break at the beach this summer! Your photos look great and I wish I was walking along those markets now or had my feet resting on the sand.....aaaaahhh! Hope coming back to real life hasn't been too brutal!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leisa,
Thanks for sharing your holiday with us. My hubby and I have just booked flights and will be heading to the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane and Gold Coast for a couple of weeks later in the year. I have heard quite a bit about the Eumundi markets so will look forward to strolling through them and discovering that part of Aust. We went to the Gold Coast and did all the theme park things when our boys were younger but haven't ventured any higher than that.
I'll visit some of those links you put in your post.
Thanks