Saturday 7 February 2009

Thrifting Fun........

Life is settling into a back to school routine or should I say madhouse life!!! The children have been back to the new year of school for two weeks now. We are gradually sorting out who has to be where and when.

Finally, my life has been sorted a little too. I am not at the shop so much, just checking in and keeping up with the book work etc. I feel much happier with this arrangement.

I am having a bit of a struggle getting organised to achieve what I want though. By the end of this week just gone I have felt as though I have done a bit more of what I wanted. Coffee with friends, stitching, cleaning that has been very neglected and some gardening, even a trip to the hairdresser. Pure bliss.

Two weekends ago I had a trip to the Tender Centre again!! I love that place! I "won" too!!! I was the successful tenderer on a few things and was thrilled to bring them home to my house. I got some great old womens' magazines from the 50's and 60's - don't you just love the ads of those old books!, a set of five star shaped glass jelly moulds and two great old footstools.

I just love both of them. The first one had been painted a lovely pink but the upholstery on the lift up lid was dreadful.


It had hundreds I'm sure, of tacks and staples holding the old fabric on. Once this was off I was able to use the old cover for a pattern for the new.

The old braid came off really easily, so a good soak in Napisan and I was able to reuse it. I had this beautiful piece of fabric in my stash. I was so pleased with my first attempt of re-upholstering a piece. I bought a staple gun to use - I've wanted one of those for ages. I have big plans for it!!


I am going to put this in our bedroom. I was thinking I might use it to store my winter hats, gloves, scarves etc.

The second piece is also quite lovely. It had two coverings on it - both chicken prints. The staples in this one were unbelievable - all over the place. I had sore fingers by the time I had pulled them all out of both pieces.




This one is a seagrass footstool/box. The lid lifts off completely and will be a great storage space for magazines or stitching. I also had this piece of fabric, so the cost of these two pieces completely redone was only around $40. Fantastic - I love looking for wonderful thrifty pieces.

I will use this one as a footstool with my rocking chair.



I am having a lovely Saturday at home today. I had an early start as No.2 son had to be at work at 6 a.m. so the day seems to be really stretching out!

I am going to my sewing room now to get started on No.1 sons' quilt - which is way overdue. My poor boys have really missed out on handmade from me for too long.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend - especially all those blogging ladies in England enjoying their snowy weather!

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

WOW.....Those footstools look fantastic...well done..you should be proud of your achievements with those..especially the pink one...great finds!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Leisa, it is wonderful to hear that you now have some more time to spend on yourself. You have done a lovely job on your footstools but I particularly like the pink one!! Looking forward to hearing how you are filling in your days. Best Wishes, Evonne xx

Sal said...

Hi Leisa..great finds!!;-)

Anonymous said...

Love your neat projects. Love the fabrics that you used. Have a great day in the sewing room.

Kelly Fletcher said...

Nicely restored! Hope you had a good sewing day.

Unknown said...

Love what you have done with the Footstools...Great choice in Fabric..Clever You.!!!
cheers